Whether you want to know What Augmented Reality is? How Augmented Reality Works? To what the difference between Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality is? How Will Augmented Reality change the world? And how Augmented Reality would be seen all over in 2018. Keep reading to know further and we are sure you would be left satisfied.
What is Augmented Reality (AR)
Augmented reality just like Virtual Reality is all set to take over the world. Augmented reality is proving to be extremely useful, and would change the way we have seen, and see the world entirely. Some of you may not know that the social media filters we use, are also a part of augmented reality. Even most of the surgical procedures, and in other medical related fields it is gaining popularity, as it has the ability to bring virtual reality out in our real world, making us hear, see and feel things as differently as ever.
Augmented Reality, when compared to another sort of realities lies somewhere in between the mixed reality spectrum, bringing the real world and virtual reality out in the real world together. Most of the people still aren’t aware of Augmented Reality that well, they just perceive it something straight out of Hollywood, and they still think that it would remain that way but as interactive displays, animated holograms and Virtual 3D Models already exist, and they all use augmented reality.
How Augmented Reality Works?
Augmented Reality’s main objective is to bring computer-generated graphics out into the real, which the user can see clearly. A user in most augmented realities can see both natural and synthetic light, which is achieved by overlaying projected images on the top of see-through glasses, that allows the interactive images and virtual objects to layer on top of the view of the user in the real world.
The AR devices are mostly self-contained, which means that they are unlike the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift Headsets, they are untethered, and do not require a desktop computer or a cable to work. They can be displayed and work on different varieties of displays, monitors, screens, smart glasses to handheld devices, or almost any sort head-up displays.
Some of the key components that are required for augmented reality to work are as follows:
- Sensors and Cmeras: they are found outside the augmented reality device, they can collect the user’s real-world view and interaction, and can communicate them to be interpreted and communicated, the collected information then determines the real objects, and adds the augmented reality elements based on the depth sensing.
- The Projection: is an essential part of augmented reality, the projector has the ability to turn the surrounding surface into interactive environment, the information collected by the camera is processed and projected on the surface in front of the person, the projection is an essential part as in the future you may not even need screens to see your display.
- The Processing: The augmented reality devices work as mini-computers that can work on tiny wearable devices. They have the huge processing power and work same as smartphones, components like CPU, flash memory, RAM, GPU, WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, and many other components can be found in the Augmented Reality device processor.
- The Reflection: The way the user’s eye views the virtual images is by the mirrors used in augmented reality Some AR devices come with a range of curved mirrors, and some have a double-sided mirror where one surface reflects the incoming light to the side camera, and the other camera projects a light into the user’s eye.
Reasons Augmented Reality Is The Future
Augmented Reality will grow in 2018, and beyond. As we have told you about what augmented reality is, and how it works, and how it can help us in almost every way we are certain it would grow in not only 2018, but the upcoming years as well.
With the help of augmented reality, the doctors can save lives, we can get from point A to point B easily while driving without even looking at our phone and GPS devices.
Medical: Medical Industry is the most major and important force behind the growth and invention of AR, as it can teach and train medical students easily. Surgeons with the help of AR could treat a person without having to worry about putting someone’s life in danger, with AR tools they could be put out in the real world like medical situation without worrying about any other thing.
This way they could learn a lot through AR. In education, too, Augmented reality could give interactive access to doctors that need to stay up to date, they could create and share and even consult with other doctors in real-time with augmented reality. In Medical field, there are beyond our imagination benefits of having AR.
Automotive: Chevy and Mazda recently started adding heads-up displays in their cars. By using the concept of AR that displays your speed, and other important warning signs and lights on the windshield, so you could stare at the road and also get all the details.
Many car companies are trying to take the concept of AR in cars further, and could even show you maps, without having to look at your GPS device the next time. AR could possibly put anything on your windshield if you are a frequent driver it could save you a lot of trouble.
Augmented Reality is likely to keep growing as more and more companies are investing and playing with the idea of AR in their products. Even in marketing and advertisement AR is set to take over, and soon we would be seeing it more and more around us.
The Difference Between Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality both have the same concept and same type of technology, which only exists to serve the user with an enriched and enhanced the real-life experience.
Both technologies are taking over one by one, and are mostly being used to entertain people. In the past, both seemed like something straight out of Hollywood science fiction movie, but it isn’t so anymore. More and more companies are investing in making both VR and AR a big and common thing.
Virtual Reality and Augmented reality have potential to change how we see the world, especially in the medical field, where we could perform remote surgeries. It has even been used to treat PTSD.
What makes both these realities different is that Augmented Reality aims in enhancing the user’s experience by adding virtual components like graphics, sensations, digital images in the real world, giving us both Virtual and Real-world combined. Whereas, Virtual Reality has its own screen, is it computer generated and driven, it has its own reality, not the real world’s.
Virtual Reality is delivered to the person using it by a hand-held controller and a head motor, the user can only then see the virtual reality, and they can navigate their actions in the real world out in the virtual reality.
Augmented reality is most commonly being used in smartphones, laptops, tablets and other handheld devices, as they can add virtual reality mixed with the real world with the help of a camera.
5 Innovative Examples Of Augmented Reality
- Augmented Reality in Games: Gaming is one of the best industry when it comes to virtual reality and augmented reality. These days there are several games in the market that have augmented reality, the most famous recent game like Pokemon Go is such example, where the user with the help of the GPS, and Camera could capture pokemon in the virtual world. More and more people are aiming to bring augmented reality into games as it enhances the user experience entirely.
- Augmented Reality and Military: It is being used by the military to stimulate and enable the trainees to experience real war like situations so they could get better timing and training. Heads up display is used to provide better experiences to the soldiers. It could not only benefit the troops but also the air force, the heads-up display could help the soldiers and pilots to see important data like enemy location, targets, altitudes, the speed etc
- Augmented Reality and Entertainment: Media has been using augmented reality the most and making the most of the technology. In media, the AR can be used to stimulate the movies in real life atmosphere. It could also be used to run marketing campaigns for movies, album launches and other cents. Currently, AMC and Universal studios are using Augmented Reality widely in their studios.
- Navigation and Augmented Reality: Now you can even reach your destination without having to look at your GPS device or map. Like we have been seeing in racing games that all the information regarding the speed, fuel etc is found on the screen same way we could also see all the information, even the map and where we are on our windshields with the help of augmented reality.
- Marketing and Augmented Reality: To provide better buying experience to users and customers, augmented reality has proven to be quite helpful in this field. Marketers are using augmented reality to be unique from their other advertising competitors, as people see their ads in augmented reality they really stand out and people really do end up being surprised and amazed. Starbucks has also taken that road with AR and saw boosts in their sales.
Augmented Reality is the next big thing, and it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. In fact it would remain in the tech world for a very long time, we have just witnessed its beginning and it would be innovated further by the next few years. We hope you got to know everything you needed to know about augmented reality. If you have any more questions then let us know in the comments below, and if you think there should be more information added then let us know that as well. Your feedback is always appreciated at GadgetRanks.