WHAT ARE POWER BANKS AND WHAT DO WE USE THEM FOR?
We’ve all faced the problem of our phone battery dying on us when we are traveling and need it the most. That is where portable chargers and power banks come in. If you have a power bank with you, you won’t have to worry about your battery dying when you had to take an important call or check an important Email.
Nowadays, you don’t even have to worry about carrying a big power bank as they come in all sizes these days, from high capacity power banks, slim power banks and ones with several ports, and ones that charge your phone real quick.
So if you are looking for the best power banks to buy this 2018 then we have compiled a perfect list of power banks and portable chargers that we tested and reviewed just for you right here at GadgetRanks.
How important Is To Carry A Power Bank?
These days most of our work requires an internet connection and a laptop or smartphone. We are always traveling and if the battery dies while we are out, it could be such a hassle to find a place to charge your phone. If you have a power bank with you, you could easily charge your smartphone.
Power Banks today come in so many varieties that you could find a power bank suitable for your needs, whether you want a slim power bank, a power bank with a lot of ports, or if it comes with short or long cables etc.
Carrying a power bank is essential if you depend on your smartphone all the time, next time you want to take a beautiful picture you can relax and just plug your phone in the powerband and let it charge.
THE MOST IMPORTANT POWER BANK FEATURES:
When deciding on which Power Bank to buy you should consider these few things:
- Performance and Price: The price value of a power bank can be easily determined depending on the quality and capacity. If it comes with both solid capacity and quality build then it is worth spending money on. Another thing to consider is if the batteries are reliable, and can be overcharged and are portable. The weight and size of the power bank should also be light, as the smaller it is the easier it is to carry.
- USB Charging: USB charging in a power bank is equally important. If it comes with USB charging you do not have to worry about using it on other devices as then any USB can be easily plugged in to charge your device. High-quality power banks provide the user with several cables for different devices, from micro-USB, mini USB, to Thunderbolt charger.
- Capacity: A power bank with a high capacity is the essential feature to look out for. It determines how many times the user can charge the power bank. To determine how many times it can charge, it is important to know the capacity of the device and the power bank, a 3000 mAH power bank is able to charge a 1500 mAH two times. But a higher capacity power bank is heavy and not as easy to carry as a smaller one so it depends on the user on which one he wants.
OPTIONAL POWER BANK FEATURES
- Design: You should consider which design to get as different designs are made for different needs. If you are a traveler you would need a portable charger, that is small in size and light in weight. If you want to charge bigger devices that require heavy batteries then you should get one that is bigger and heavier.
- Weight: Weight and size are another two important things to consider as if you want to carry a power bank in your backpack then you would need to buy a small portable charger or power bank.
10 best Power Banks Of 2018 :
Best Power Banks For Capacity:
1 – AUKEY Power Bank 20,000mAh
Can charge two devices at a time
- High Capacity
- Two USB ports
- Design is blocky
- Doesn’t charge quickly
Aukey 20,000mAh battery pack comes with two ports from which you could easily charge two devices at once. It even features a battery light that lets the user know how much battery remains to be charged. The only downsides are its big bulky design and don’t give the user a quick charge but otherwise, it overall has the high capacity battery that would charge your phone instantly.
2 – Anker PowerCore 20,100 power bank
Comes with 20,100mAh charge
- Big Battery size
- Charges quickly
- Does not support the qualcomm quick charging
Who hasn’t heard the brand name Anker when it comes to portable chargers and power banks. Anker is surely always to make the list of best power banks and that is why it takes the second spot on our list. The Anker PowerCore 20,100 power bank is among the best portable chargers by Anker.
Packed with 20,100mAH battery, which lets you charge the device really quickly. The charger can connect to your smartphone and tablet easily. The only downside is that it does not support the Qualcomm quick charge technology but is surely going to boost the device.
Best Slim Power Banks:
3 – Xiaomi 10,000mAh Power Bank Pro
- Slim and Portable
- Sleek Design
- Works well with Micro USB and USB-C
Description: Xiaomi isn’t an unknown company now. From their top quality phones to portable chargers they have a good reputation. Xiaomi 10,000mAh Power Bank Pro is a high capacity and slim power bank easy to carry anywhere. The downside is that it does not charge quickly but otherwise, it is worth the price value. It comes with both USB-C and Micro USB ports and can be plugged in anywhere.
4 – Poweradd Pilot 2GS 10,000mAh
Sleek and Slim Design
- Pro – High capacity
- Con – Recharges quick
- Con – Still quite heavy
Description: Poweradd Pilot 2GS 10,000mAh is a sleek and slim built high-quality power bank. It is quite affordable at the price of just $16.00. It is a heavy power bank but otherwise is it quite sleek and slim in design making it easier to carry around while traveling. Despite not coming with a built-in the cable it is still worth spending money on.
Best power banks with lots of ports:
5 – MAXOAK 50,000mAh
Comes with six ports
- Pro : Comes with Six Ports
- Con – Big Design
- Con – Huge Battery
If you are traveling and need a portable charger then it isn’t for you but MAXOAK 50,000mAh comes with a lot of ports if you are looking to charge several devices at once. And you can even charge your laptop with it.
This power bank can charge six devices at a time all plugged in. The battery capacity is 50,000mAh making it stand out from the rest. If you wish to charge a lot of devices at once then this is definitely worth spending money on.
6 – Qi-infinity Upgraded 35,000mAh Powerbank
Big size and battery
- Comes with 4 ports
- 35,000mAh size
- Big design
- Isn’t compatible with all laptops
If you are looking for another power bank that comes with a lot of ports then you should also consider buying – Qi-infinity Upgraded 35,000mAh Powerbank. You can charge four devices simultaneously on this power bank. All the USB devices, including your MacBook can be charged using this power bank. And the charging speed is quite fast too with its separate fast charging post.
Best power banks For Phones & Laptops:
7 – RAVPower Universal Power Bank Travel Charger
- Good for Laptop
- AC output
- 20,100mAh capacity
- Big design
If you are looking for power banks and portable chargers to charge your laptop then spending money on RAVPower’s portable charger is one of the best choices. It comes with both normal USB output and USB-C options as well as an AC output which lets you plug in your laptop directly to the power bank.
The battery capacity is 20,100mAh making it easier to charge heavy devices such as your laptop. It isn’t particularly portable so it can’t be carried around easily but if its big devices you are looking to charge it is worth spending money on.
8 – Poweradd Pilot Pro2
- Comes in White
- 23,000mAh capacity
- Display is Easy to see
- Not particularly portable
Poweradd Pilot Pro2 is another good option to consider if you are looking to charge big devices like tablets and laptops. With a high capacity battery of 23,000mAh, it could juice up your device in no time. The charges last long as well. It comes in white color option and the display is easy to read as well. It isn’t portable though if you are looking for chargers that are easy to carry around but otherwise it is worth spending money on to charge laptops etc.
Best power banks for travelers:
9 – Nomad Powerpack
- Drop Resistant
- USB-A and USB-C port
- Built in Tracking Tile.
- High price for average capacity
- cluttered port side
Nomad Powerpack comes with USB-C charging and charges your phone really quick. It comes with 7,000mAh battery and supports both USB-C and USB-A ports. If it falls it drops resistance and comes with built-in tracking which makes it for the user to locate it if it goes missing. It can charge all the USB-C devices quickly six times over. Overall, it is a durable power bank for travelers, at the price of $119.95 it is worth the value.
Best USB Battery Packs:
10 – Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD Power Bank
- Sleek and light design.
- High Capacity Charging
- Reasonable Price
- Doesn’t charge USB-A devices quick
- Cannot charge high power laptops quick
Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD is one of the best USB battery packs available in the market right now. It supports USB-C PD output which makes it easier to charge all the latest smartphones like galaxy phones and Apple devices. It can easily charge the latest MacBook and tablets. The design is sleek and easy to hold, and the build quality is also solid. It has 22.5-watt charging which charges your device quickly. At $79.99 it is worth the price value
HOW TO GET THE PERFECT POWER BANK?
Some tips on how to get the perfect Power Bank:
Look for the one compatible with your device by making sure the battery pack comes with Quick Charge 2.0, 3.0 or PD. Depending on which smartphone you have it could make a huge difference in the performance. If your device has QC 2.0 then you should not hesitate to pay extra for 3.0 battery pack.
Another thing to keep in mind is that not all power banks can perfectly charge iPhone X and Galaxy 8 five times over. It would vary depending on your device and capacity.
How we tested each power bank?
We tested each power bank by checking its performance, ease of use, display score and pocketability.
- Performance test was based on the charging score, and how many times it could charge the phone
- Ease of use test was based on how fast it charges the phone upon plugging it in.
- Display Score test was based on the unit display and how easily it was understand
- Pocketability test was based on the weight and size of the unit, and whether it can be carried around easily
2018 has been a great year for technology. And high capacity, reliable and solid power banks were not further behind in the technological race. We hope you choose the best Power Bank from the list we compiled based on your requirements and needs.
If you wish to mention another power bank that should’ve made the list or if you have any suggestions or feedback then let us know in the comments below. Your feedback is always appreciated here at GadgetRanks.