Smart Lighting or Smart Bulb is a type of lighting that you could simply control through an app, mostly compatible with your android or apple devices. Smart Bulbs could give an incredible look to your home, and that too at a low cost. Unlike your conventional light bulbs, the smart bulbs can be easily controlled smartly, you could change the brightness of the bulbs, whether you want them dim or bright depending on your mood.
Most of the smart bulbs come with LEDs which can change colors depending on your likes. The smart bulbs are customizable, so if you are watching a movie then you could preset the settings, and then select that when watching a movie, and if you are having dinner then you could set the brightness according to your likes.
Smart Bulbs give the user endless possibilities to choose from. And what makes it easy is that you could control it all through your smartphone, even if you are away from home you could turn the bulbs on through the wifi connectivity.
Smart Bulbs also come with a voice-activated personal assistant which lets you control the lights through voice commands, such as clapping or yelling a word, and the bulb would function as you tell it to. Smart Bulbs are surely the future of home lighting and make the user’s life a lot easier and convenient.
How Does Smart Bulb Work?
Smart Bulbs are designed to work smartly, hence they are called Smart Bulbs. And Smart Bulbs, unlike your conventional bulbs, aren’t that easy to choose from. You have to take a lot of considerations before getting a bulb, and it isn’t as easy as just plugging it in the socket. A Smart Bulb would require a hub most of the time, and sometimes works via Bluetooth, or could require solely on the home wi-fi network.
The most common smart bulbs are the ones that work with a hub, which is a piece of hardware that is quite similar to the wireless routers, the bulb simply connects to the internet through that hub. And the only time the user would experience difficulty is when connecting it to the hub the first time, but later it would be a piece of cake. A smart bulb with a hub would cost you more if you get it up front.
How to Use Smart Bulbs?
Using Smart Bulbs is quite an easy process once you have installed them. When you set up the smart bulb to the hub then the easy process comes into play, from where you could choose different bulbs connected to the app on your tablet, smartphone or home automation hub which easily connects to the wi-fi, Bluetooth or the Z-wave; then you could decide on which bulb to assign to which room, and then you could have full control and access to all the features of the smart bulbs. Some smart bulbs would require a separate gateway for the bulbs to work, for example, Philips Hue Bridge requires Philips smart bulbs in order to work.
Most people today that decide on having smart home technology would get a home automation system or a hub from brands like Wink, Nest, Google Home, Apple HomeKit or Amazon Alexa. When the smart bulb technology is customized to work with other devices in your home then the bulbs could work according to your needs when using those other devices. If someone were to ring the doorbell during the night you could easily switch on the lights when you aren’t near your home.
How to Buy the Best Smart Bulbs:
When deciding on which Smart Bulb you should keep a few things in mind. First thing that’s most important is that whether or not you want to control your lighting via Bluetooth, which lets you only control the lighting when you are within the Bluetooth range, otherwise you won’t be able to control the lighting if you are away from home, for instance, you want to switch off a bulb that you forget to turn off, it would remain the same way unless you are within the Bluetooth range.
And if you buy a smart bulb which can be controlled through your home wi-fi network, then you could easily control your bulbs through the app installed on your tablet, smartphone, and home automation hub even if you are away from home. The speed may vary depending on how many devices you are using on that wi-fi network as the bandwidth can be affected on how many devices are connected to it. If you have connected several smartphones, computers, and tablets to your wi-fi network then the smart lighting would also contribute in taking the bandwidth of your internet, and if somehow your internet stops working then the smart bulbs won’t function either.
You could simply buy Smart Bulbs from any Home Depot store like Best Best or even online shopping services such as eBay and Amazon, and they may contain several smart bulb brands. Most of the smart bulbs today come in several sizes, so you do not have to worry about buying new fixtures when installing smart bulbs.
When buying smart bulbs make sure you consider a good brand, as most good branded smart bulbs today feature coordination of the lighting, change colors because of their LED lights, and they can be easily synced with other home automated devices. Most good smart bulbs also come with GPS tracking which lets the smart bulbs know if you are within the range and they turn on automatically upon your arrival.
Reasons Why Your Next Light Bulb Should be a Smart Bulb:
Light Bulbs are one of the most essential and important parts of a household. Without bulbs you cannot see in the dark and, well, you would simply be bumping into things. All bulbs are created for different purposes, and if you have been considering to get light bulbs then you really should be opting for smart bulbs because they would make your life a lot easier. Here are a few reasons why your next light bulb should be a smart bulb:
- Smart Bulbs can be easily controlled through wi-fi, Bluetooth and a home automated hub from your smart devices no matter where you are. Even if you are halfway around the world, you could switch them on simply through the wi-fi connection.
- They save time and energy as you could switch them on and off through your app without having to get up and switching them on/off every time.
- Unlike the normal light bulbs, you could set their brightness, and could make them dim depending on your requirement, that too from the app.
- They are perfect for home security. If you have been planning to travel far then you could simply switch them on at night, making other people think that there is someone already in the house. Many brands today offer scheduled timing and timers for the lights too.
- Many smart bulbs that are equipped with LED lighting offer color changes. Some smart bulbs today come with 16 million hues that can be easily customized and could make your home appear more stylish and funky. So if you want to play around with lights then you should consider getting Smart Bulbs.
- Most Smart Bulbs today come with built-in speakers, you do not even have to worry about adjusting wires anymore, and you could simply switch it on to listen to music and some even come with synchronized colors, that change with each beat.
- Most Smart Bulbs are most likely to offer wide range of LED lights that allow you to choose millions of colours from, and from which you could choose soothing, and calm colours which are designed to provide comfort. They would make your sleeping routine better because the colors are so soothing it would relax your mind and body. So a smart bulb is sure to give you a good night’s sleep.
The Best Smart Bulbs You Can Buy
- Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Star
- LIFX Color 1000
- C by GE Starter Pack
- MiPow Playbulb Rainbow
- Philip Hue White
- Cree Connected LED bulb
- Eufy Lumos Smart Bulb White
- GE link Connected LED
- Ikea Tradfri Gateway Kit
- Philips Hue White Ambiance
You must be wondering whether you should really be spending money buying a Smart Bulb. We think that Smart Bulbs really do make your life a lot easier. A smart bulb would give you so many options to choose from, and if it’s the price you are worried about then you do not have to worry because you could buy the best smart bulbs in 2018 for a decent amount, depending on your budget and most of these smart bulb come with features that you would find even in expensive models.
You could get a cheap $1 light bulb and be over with it but a Smart Bulb is reliable and we are sure it would make your life a lot easier and convenient. If you like modern everything then modernizing your home should also be on top of your list. Smart bulbs do have higher initial cost, but they have longer life expectancy than normal bulbs, and have way more features that would make your life fun and easier.
We hope you liked our guide on Smart Bulbs. If you are have any more suggestions and information regarding smart bulbs then do let us know in the comments below. Your feedback is always appreciated here at GadgetRank.